Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses which may cause illness in animals or humans. In humans, several coronaviruses cause respiratory infections ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases. The most recently discovered coronavirus causes Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). This new virus and disease were unknown before the outbreak began in Wuhan, China, in December 2019. It is now a pandemic, with reported cases in over 100 countries.
Although most people (about 80%) recover from the disease without needing special treatment, around 1 out of every 6 people who gets COVID-19 becomes seriously ill and develops difficulty breathing. Older people and those with underlying medical problems such as high blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes, are more likely to develop serious illness or die.
As scary as all this sounds, if you follow the advice below, you can minimize your risk of contracting COVID-19:
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly (for at least 20 seconds each time) with soap and water. If you are in public, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer after touching anything.
- Try not to touch your face, as the virus enters the body through the mouth, nose and eyes.
- Stay at least three feet (one meter) away from other people.
- Avoid unnecessary travel.
- Minimize attendance at events with large numbers of people.
- If you develop cold- or flu-like symptoms, get tested for COVID-19 and self-isolate.
Most importantly, get the facts and don’t panic! Vubiz’ Coronavirus Preparedness for Employers and Employees online course is available for free to help you and your business during this time.
At Vubiz, we all have co-workers, families and friends we care about and want to help stay healthy. We hope that by making this course available at no charge, we can help to keep you, your employees, your families and your friends healthy too.
Contact Vubiz firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.